SEO is a complicated subject, but keyword research for contractors can be simplified with just a few tips and tricks. In order to rank higher on search engines like Google, you need to optimize your website for the right keywords and phrases.
1. Keyword research is a crucial step in any marketing campaign
You cannot expect to rank on top of search engines without properly researching and building your website around the right keywords, phrases, and topics.
A successful keyword strategy will not only help you attract visitors from search engine results pages (SERPs), but it can also increase conversions by targeting specific types of traffic with content that matches their intent.
2. The first step to keyword research is finding out what people are searching for
One of the first places I like to start is google. And I will just start searching different phrases and see what pops up.
At the bottom of the page Google will you suggested searches. Take a note of these. These can give you good insights into other keywords and phrases people are searching for.
3. There are many free tools and resources available on the internet that can help you with your keyword research
Google Keyword Planner is a great tool to get started that can help you do this.
This free tool will let you know how many people are searching for specific terms. You just enter in keyword phrases, and it will give you an estimate on monthly searches, competition level, potential cost per click (CPC), related keywords, etc.
Type “keyword planner” into the search bar and press enter on your keyboard or click the link on the screen. This will take you to an online dashboard where you fill out some information about your website such as its location, language, number of words per page (don’t worry if it’s not accurate), etc before getting access to keyword suggestions like shown below:
– home remodeling Connecticut
– roofing contractors Virginia Beach VA
– patio construction Miami FL
This gives us three different types of keywords that we could optimize our site for.
4. Once you have found some keywords, it’s time to narrow down your list and start ranking them by relevance
Narrowing down the list requires you to rank the keywords by relevance. This is important because it’s what will help your site rank for the services you offer in the area you service. Rank more relevant keywords towards the top of the list and less desirable ones at the bottom.
The following are a few steps to narrow down your list of keywords.
- Group the words or phrases into categories that make sense for you and group them by relevance (i.e., roofing, siding, windows)
- Organize these groups alphabetically according to their category in relation to services offered (Ex: installation -> window installation -> window replacement)
- Rank each keyword using a scale from one through three with one being most relevant/desirable and three least desirable/relevant
- Add any additional information about why it is ranked where it is on the list. This can include what word variations rank higher than others (which may not pertain to all industries), search volumes, competition level etc…
5. You will want to rank your keywords based on how often they appear in Google searches
If there is a keyword that no one is searching for, it may not be a good idea to optimize a page for that keyword. You will want to rank your keywords in relation to how often they appear on Google.
This is because if someone searches for a keyword that no one else has searched for, it still doesn’t mean the keyword won’t ever get any traffic and so it may be better not to optimize pages around those words.
To find this data you can use free tools like Google Keyword Planner or Moz’s KWFinder which give insights into how many people search for certain keywords each month as well as other related information about their competition levels etc…
6. If you’re not sure where to start, try using Google Adwords’ Keyword Tool or SEMrush’s Free SEO Audit To find more keyword ideas
Google Adwords Keyword Tool is a great place to start. We love SEMrush and have been using it for years, but long before we started paying for it, we cut our teeth on the free account.
You can do a keyword search for free then get lots of data like how many people are searching for the term and what level their competition is.
If you’re not sure where to start, try using Google Adwords’ Keyword Tool or SEMrush’s Free SEO Audit tool to find more keyword ideas. Tools such as these will provide insight into which keywords have enough volume that they could be worth targeting in your content marketing strategy. This blog post goes over SEO-related topics we hope contractors know about before doing any web design work on their website – but it still doesn’t mean the keyword won’t ever get any traffic and so it may be better not to optimize pages around those words.
Search engine optimization is an important part of any digital marketing plan. Keyword research for contractors can help you rank higher in search engines like Google and attract new clients to your business. To optimize your website, it’s smart to focus on the right keywords and phrases that will resonate with potential customers searching online. If you need help getting started, let us know – we have experts who are eager to get working with you!